On 02/13/2014 04:52 PM, Louis Proyect wrote:
> People like Trotsky, Riazanov,
> Lozovsky, Bukharin, Kamenev et al developed their own Marxist thinking
> on their own. The Russian Social Democratic Party was simply a
> coalescing of men and women who had already become self-developed
> Marxist activists and thinkers.

Seems to me Louis' point of the virtue of a hard left party, which acts
as a way of coalescing militant anti-capitalists, is a pretty good
general approach to organization.

I'm currently in the process of translating Yevgenia Bosch's account of
the Russian Revolution in the Ukraine in 1918, and her descriptions of
various meetings within the Bolsheviks there, as well as meetings
between them and other leftist forces (SRs, Mensheviks, anarchists)
sounds very similar to the description above.

It's a good starting point for moving beyond sects.