#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On Nov 10, 2014, at 4:44 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism
<marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:

> On 11/10/14 4:39 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:
>> At the moment, they're resigned to Assad because among the range of
>> outcomes acceptable to them (not ISIS or Nusra), he's winning.
>
> You have that all wrong. Between a dictatorship that is deeply committed to
> neoliberalism and a rebel army that is largely made up of impoverished
> farmers, small businessmen and members of the informal sector (in other
> words, the same social composition as those who rose up against Somoza), the
> USA knows where its class interests lie. It is one of the ironies of history
> that so many who championed the Sandinistas are now ready to label another
> insurgent movement against crony capitalism as the moral equivalent of the
> Nicaraguan contras.

I take it there’s no implication here that the predominantly Islamist forces
leading the Syrian insurgency are - if you wish to put it in these terms - the
“moral equivalent” of the Sandinistas who overthrew the Somoza dictatorship. It
shouldn’t be necessary on a Marxism list to point to the wide discrepancy in
their social programs, taking into account both the FSLN’s misguided policy
towards the Miskitos, and that the Islamists are leading a legitimate struggle
against the Assad regime.