#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

on Montag, 9. Februar 2015 at 17:28, Ian Angus via Marxism wrote:

> Thank you very much!  Google tells me that "grobianism" refers to Saint
> Grobian, the patron saint of vulgar and coarse people. (Who knew they had
> their own saint?)

  I never heard of that.

  A "Grobian" is simply somebody who is "grob" - a word which has a wide field
of meanings, from "coarse", "rough", "uneven", "crude", a "grober Fehler" could
be a "gross error" of "bad" or "crass error", etc.

  A "grober Kerl" a coarse or rude fellow, or a ruffian. The single word
"Grobian" has the same meaning; my dictionary also lists "boor" as translation,
and the US-american "roughneck". For "Grobianismus" in literature it lists
"grobianism" or "Rabelaisian style".

Cheers,
Lüko Willms