#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Thank you Jim.  Helps explain encounters with SL in the late 60s
onward, then ET/BT/IBT in the 80s onward in occasional brief
residence, frequent sojourns and visits to the CA bay area.

Sad, sort-of-embarassing commentary on not-so-unusual experiences on
the left; appreciate the Cannon quote at the end.  Revealing about the
nature of much of the U.S.(English-speaking?) left of the latter 70s
onward, about SL and also about the ET (to become IBT).

I think that this excerpt from the wikipedia entry on the Spartacist
League explains the main reason for the widespread derision of SL
among activists/the left:

"In the United States, the group is small, but very vocal, and its
activities within leftist-activist coalitions and wide-scale social
justice protest movements usually focus on trying to portray
themselves as the most authentically communist group present at that
activity. In response, most comparable radical left groupings
specifically deride the "Sparts", by name, as being a nuisance..."

as i recall this thread started with a question about 'why the
widepread derision of the SL'?

i've used up more than my available time in reading the long article,
i don't have time to search online or in my memory (i'm sure i've
forgotten way more than i 'know') - what is Healy's lie that is
referred to as the point of rupture w/in RT of early 60s that led to
differentiation between SL and WL in the U.S.?