#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

on Samstag, 11. Juli 2015 at 19:58, Louis Proyect via Marxism wrote:

> So what kind of party do we need?

 A party which leads the working people, proletarians (wage earners) and
farmers alike, into taking their fate into their own hands.

Datum : Montag, 23. Februar 2015, 19:09
Betreff: [Marxism] Greece: Where is the public works programme? The
mobilisation of the unemployed for reconstructing the country?

===8<=================== Original Nachrichtentext ===================

With a a quarter of the econmically active population being unemployed, and the
economy in shambles after years and decades of disrecard for the public
infrastructure, a massive popular mobilisation is called for, to take things in
their own hands, and build.

Build roads, bridges, tunnels, railway lines, and more which will increase the
productivity of the country.

Organise farmers to produce what they could not sell on the market, because the
food industry, the whole salers and the retailers could not make enough profits
with it. This will feed the workers in the public works program.

And nationalise the banks to stop financial speculation and direct the funds
into financing the public works program and other necessary work.
Nationalisation does not necessary mean the expropriation of the owners of the
banks, but taking control out of their hands, combining the whole financial
"industry" under a common leadership and command for the good of the country.

Open the books of big business, of the shipping conglomerates (not only
Onassis), of the media coporations (which all belong to various corporations or
financial conglomerates).

Take cumpolsory loans from the super rich.

Don't make gifts to the people, but mobilize them to work and to take things in
their own hands, increasing their self-confidence, the self-empowerment.

With all, for the good of all, as José Martí, the Cuban hero said.

Or is that actually happening? I haven't heard of it. No scandalized uproar in
the Corporate "News" Media...

I was disappointed when the previous Greek government ordered the state TV to
shut down, and all the workers operating the transmission network followed the
order. It would have been so easy to mobilize for a NO, and a refusal to shut
it down.

Recommended reading: The Impending Catastrophe and How to Combat It, by Lenin

  at https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1917/ichtci/index.htm

===8<============== Ende des Original Nachrichtentextes =============

  I wanted to write "implement capital controls", but I didn't know the English
word for "Kapitalverkehrskontrollen".

  There is not only a huge mass of unemployed, but also farmers in crisis who
close shop because the capitalist market does not pay enough for their produce.
Both farmers and workers have to gain by combining their forces and helping
each other by a direct exchange of their products.

  Factories closed in the past years have to reopen in order to produce things
needed for the big public undertakings.

  Undertakings which are in the common interest, not induced by favoring
"entrepreneurship" as the national-front declaration of Tsipras and the
bourgeois parties stipulates.

  The important thing is the to activate people who are now jobless and without
income. Them being activily working for their advantage and the common good is
what helps them to gain self-confidence. Getting gifts from the government does
not.

>  One that proclaims the need for rupture? Such a party exists.
> Actually two of them exist: KKE and Antarsya. But the support for them is
> negligible. The fact that only 5
> percent of those voting "no" in the referendum expected that if such a
> vote it would lead to a Grexit, either bourgeois or proletarian, is
> something that the left has to grapple with.

  Rebuilding the walls between the European countries which had been lowered by
the European Union is not a way forward for working people. "Workers have no
fatherland" is the old truth, and giving up those important elements of the
right to free movement as is the Schengen space and the common currency, is
really foolish; it only serves the most backward sections of the bourgeoisie.
As the history after the "no" campaign of the French "left" against the change
in the European Treaty a couple of years ago. Today it is undeniable that this
reactionary campaign for rising the capitalist borders around France only
benefited the extreme right, the Front National.

  A big question will remain, if the capitulation of the Syriza leadership will
result in a setback for the workers movement as a whole, or if it will be
absorbed as a lesson showing that the parliamentary cretinism driving "left"
electoral combinations does not help, but rather does the opposite.

Cheers,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main, Germany