#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Louis

I studied under Richard Lobban. He was doing scholarship on Islamism as a style
of government back when Peter Camejo was running for president on the SWP
ticket. Because he was working in Sudan, he was there when bin Laden showed up
in Khartoum. You can find his stuff pretty easily. I tend to follow his
analysis on this issue pretty regularly.

Best regards,
Andrew Stewart

> On 4/18/17 5:57 PM, Andrew Stewart wrote:
> The interplay between al Queda and members of the royal family as opposed to
> the government is well documented.

My advice to Andrew and anybody else interested in these questions is to read
"The Thistle and the Drone" by Akbar Ahmed, which is now online:

https://archive.org/stream/The_Thistle_and_the_Drone_How_Americas_War_on_Terror_Became_a_Global_War_on_Trib/The_Thistle_and_the_Drone_How_Americas_War_on_Terror_Became_a_Global_War_on_Tribal_Islam_by_Akbar_Ahmed_djvu.txt

If you don't have time to read the whole thing, this chapter is essential:

page 43
Bin Laden’s Dilemma:

Balancing Tribal and Islamic Identity