It's historical, isn't it?  Sometimes the more authoritarian, sometimes the
less.  Sometimes the carrot, sometimes the stick.  Sometimes small property
feels safe and secure, other times it feels itself being upended, expelled,
crushed, and the small property-holders rush out into the streets only too
eager to complete the job big capitalism has initiated-- driving down wages
below subsistence, marching off to war-- another way of driving wages below
subsistence and incinerating the overproduced means of production at the
same time.

But I don't buy is that China represents a new paradigm for capitalism,
which I think means for those who suggest it is so, that somehow the CCP,
the State Council actually control the economy, and the market forces,
rather than being controlled by them.

I don't think that's the case-- certainly not in the export/import sector of
the economy, certainly not in the special enterprise zones; certainly not in
basic industry-- cement, steel, aluminum, etc. where overproduction has been
officially acknowledged as the looming threat to economic stability.