Zizek is entertaining and defends in his own way the idea of revolution and
the continued existence of History in a way that makes him attractive.  His
politics are muddled, but when he's in town I go to listen to him speak for
the anecdotes-- if not all the ideas.  I think upper-middle class grad
students are the cornerstones of his fanbase.  Even though what attracted to
me was the fact that he was willing to defend 1789 and 1917 in a way that
wasn't in vogue in the mainstream--- his analysis of the French Revolution
and his adoration of Saint-Just, the ranting about the imposition of "the
Idea" by the violence and will of a minority and his gross
misrepresentations of Lenin (Louis wrote a good article on this) is a bit
revolting.  Closer to Bruno Bauer than Karl Marx.  This article however was
quite tolerable.