Mark Lause wrote:

> I'm sure there are people who looked at "Birth of a Nation" as one of the
> many silent-era cowboy movies.  Or "Reds" as a love story.  Just think a
> minute at how differently people perceive a news broadcast.

Indeed. I once had a student inf 18th-c lit who thought "A Modest
Proposal" was evidence that Irish peasantry practiced cannibalism.

In a political context this means that a given text or movie takes on
political significance only within a specific context, which is only
partly created by the viewer's own history. If you bring bourgeois
assumptions to a movie, you will see it supporting those assumptions. If
it clearly does not, then such viewers will dismiss it as propaganda.

No movie has an essential meaning that 'works' on the reader regardless
of context. Or see it as a good movie which has the wrong attitude.

It all comes back to active political practice. News, movies, even
events do not carry their own meaning.

Carrol