Louis wrote:
"once again, keep in mind that the problem is climate change, not global
warming."

Climate change has been around for billions of years. It cannot be eliminated,
though future generations might be able to control it to some extent. In the
meantime society should expect phenomena such as the 1 degree C cooling
experienced in the Bolivian highlands over the past 5 decades. My point is that
in a rationally organized society such phenomena would not have the impacts
they have today. Note that the author also says the Bolivian highlands are
poorer than the lowlands. I suspect poverty, and not the change in temperature,
is the underlying problem - otherwise we'd have to conclude that what the poor
of the Bolivian highlands need now is more global warming!

"Words to note: THE FOUR CONSECUTIVE WARM SUMMERS OF 2002 2003, 2004 AND
2005 ALMOST COMPLETELY ELIMINATED THE GLACIER."

Noted, but remember that glaciers have been retreating and disappearing for
thousands of years. One main reason is surely natural global warming - what
you'd expect in an inter-glacial period such as the one we are living through.
But the Chacaltaya story shows us that, paradoxically, cooling can also
contribute to the process. The question then is whether human activity adds
anything to the natural and inevitable patterns of climate change, and if so
how much and with what consequences. That question is very difficult to answer.

"In brief, the drop in winter temperatures is offset by a rise in summer
temperatures. Paula, in the future when you are trawling for factoids to
support a denialist perspective, at least take the trouble to read your
material more carefully"

I'm afraid it's you who should have been more careful. Andersen's article on
Chacaltaya does not say that the drop in winter temperatures is offset by a
rise in summer temperatures. What it says is that summer temperatures have also
dropped, but *less so* than winter temperatures. The article does not tell us
at all *why* 2002-2005 were warm summers, but the wikipedia page does say that
'The final meltdown after 1980, due to missing precipitation and the warm phase
of El Nino, resulted in its final disappearance in 2009'.

For those interested, the Andersen article on Chacaltaya is at
http://www.inesad.edu.bo/mmblog/mm_20090323.htm.
The wikipedia page is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chacaltaya.

Paula