Sartesian wrote:

>I don't buy [nice choice of words, that] "state capitalism," for the simple
reason that you can't have capitalism without a capitalist class; and a
class, by definition, has a specific, and necessary social relation of
production that it brings with it to power, and that brings it to power. So
where is that social relation of production unique, specific, and necessary
to the "state capitalists" in the USSR, or China, or Cuba, etc.?<

Well I didn't, and don't want to get into an argument on the "Russian
question". The immediate issue is whether the Chinese state can evolve into
conventional capitalism without a rupture in the state. Yes, it can.

But since you ask me directly: I agree you can't have capitalism without a
capitalist class, meaning a social class that accumulates capital (dead
labour) and exploits living labour via a wages system. It does not however
have to be the bourgeosie. A state bureaucracy can drive, and be driven by
the accumulation process. The social relations of production in the USSR
included: top-down control of the means of production, alienated labour, a
wages system, and a drive to accumulate capital. The latter was in turn
driven by military competion with the west. The necessity for the
bureaucracy to assume the role of "capitalist" arose from the historical
coincidence which saw the workers lose power, with no bourgeois element
capable of seizing it. Having taken the reins, it created a somewhat bizarre
set of bureaucratic social structures to suit its needs, and a
pseudo-Marxist ideology to validate the lot.

This is a long way from Perry Anderson. Or is it?