I think Paul's post is helpful as we actually try to circumnavigate the
problem; the problem being social revolutions that expropriate the bourgeois
class and then manifest themselves as a "substitute bourgeoisie."

Couple of items--  I disagree over the evaluation of China's ascendancy--
actually I don't think it is an ascendancy at all.  It certainly is a
transformation, but as everyone knows, I think China is the "paper tiger" in
network of capitalism.

Secondly, somewhere, somehow China, and Russia before it, fit in to the
world market as much as they were isolated from it, even before the
restoration of capitalism.  The history of the Soviet development is not
quite that segregated from Great Depression.  There are certain enormous
quantitative differences-- like expanding output in the Soviet Union, and
declining output in the US, etc. but the precipitating forces for the 5 year
plans were very much keyed to terms of trade with the West and the worsening
of those terms and that trade as well as the internal limits of the peasant
based agriculture prior to the 5 year plans.  Secondly, the growth of
industry in the USSR is accompanied by dramatic declines in consumption
among urban and rural workers, and... a real decline in labor productivity.
The decline in consumption, certainly, is not that different from what
workers experienced in the rest of Europe and North America.

The decline in labor productivity  reflects that decline of  consumption,
reflects an  analogous appropriation of  "absolute surplus value," an
absolute decline in workers' subsistence levels, as well as the Soviet's
ability to organize and direct masses of labor-power at specific projects.

And somehow, despite the bourgeoisie's antipathy to both revolutions,  China
and Russia perform critical functions in stabilizing the "order of battle"
of capital.  We see this most clearly in political terms-- the roles played
by the CP's in revolutionary struggles in other countries.  I think there
has to be an economic equivalent to this-- somewhere there is a
participation of China and Russia in the actual accumulation processes that
serves to stabilize capital.  Maybe it's as simple as, after WW2, taking
productive assets out of the circulation process of capital [i.e. the DDR,
Czechoslovakia].

I have difficulty with the notion that the USSR was ever isolated from the
world markets during the depression [despite the results of the 5 year
plans] when it certainly wasn't isolated from what happened next.

It's quite possible, IMO, when we talk about the "modernization" of the
USSR, pre and post WW2, we're missing the boat, the boat being Russia's
history, the boat being that the modernization we think we see is another
iteration of uneven and combined development as labor productivity in
general and agricultural productivity specifically lagged behind that of
advanced capitalist countries.

Anyway, this is mostly thinking out loud on my part.