On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Mark Lause <markala...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The IWW's opposition to WWI was official and on paper.  It had no particular
> hold on members, some of whom enlisted.

And I suppose that the IWW leaders in both the USA and Australia who
were imprisoned for sedition, as well as the thousands of Wobblies who
were deported from the USA, were only repressed for their official and
"on paper" opposition to the war? In actuality, the official stance of
the IWW "on paper" was to leave conscription up to the individual.
That was Big Bill Haywood's position. But in terms of action, they
continued to organize industrial unions and strikes in key war-time
industries, thus the repression. In spite of their "official"
patriotism, they continued to put the working class first, patriotism
be damned.

Greg McDonald