Richard wrote:

'But the main point I wish to reinforce is that whatever the left ultimately
favours should be based first and foremost on an appreciation of the
terrifying scale of the crisis that is ahead of us, not on what's good for
the Labour Party's long-term electoral chances or on what will deliver PR'.

I agree with Richard that we are faced with a very sharp upturn in the
struggle.  Specifically I agree that a major ruling class offensive is about
to be upon us.  Is this a 'terrifying' prospect?  Well given the scale of
the suffering that will be involved, the answer is yes of course,
absolutely.

But there is also the other dimension.  We go into this battle and it is not
at all inevitable that we will lose. I find that prospect far from
terrifying.

What will be most likely to increase our chances of victory? I don't live in
the UK so what I say here is more than somewhat gratuitous.  But for a start
I would try once more to unite the Left, and I say that with a good deal of
knowledge of what that Herculean task would entail.  But if we could only
find a way to rediscover the success of the 1930s Popular Front without the
Stalinism, we might be in with a very real chance.

comradely regards

Gary