On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 5:46 PM, michael a. lebowitz <mlebo...@sfu.ca> wrote:

>  Whatever the merits of their grievances, the statement by CONAIE looks
> like it offers a green light to another coup--- this one with the
> support of the military:
>
>> The Alleged Coup d'Etat, Democracy, and the Indigenous Organizations
>>
>> By Marlon Santi
>>
>> President, CONAIE
>>

>> We energetically announce that there never was any attempted coup
>> d'etat, much less a kidnapping...
>>
>> We do not recognize this dictatorial "democracy" ..
>>
>> We demand the constitutional suspension of the National Congress ...
>>
> --
>
> ---------------------
> Michael A. Lebowitz
> Professor Emeritus
> Economics Department
> Simon Fraser University
> 8888 University Drive
> Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6
> Home:   Phone 604-689-9510
> Cell: 778-230-6137

You infer that the suspension of the legislative body could be
unconstitutional. In fact, it is something the Ecuadorean Constitution
specifically allows and has been openly under consideration and even
called for by President Correa himself. On that matter, the CONAIE and
Correa seem to be in agreement. in fact, Correa was publicly
considering such a suspension, but as per usual, he backed down. Thus
the CONAIE call for a "constitutional suspension".

The fact is, Correa has refused time and again to implement procedures
and policies agreed upon in the constituent assembly, Michael.  He
keeps pandering to the right wing of his own party, rather than
responding positively to the demands of the popular movement.

Greg