On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Néstor Gorojovsky <nmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Nestor, Correa has said publicly the USA was not behind the coup
>> attempt. I tend to agree. It was too disorganized to have been
>> arranged by the US embassy, IMO. BTW,  Do you think Correa is lying?
>>

> I say Correa is smarter than US intelligence and policy makers, and won´t
> buy a red herring.
>

>> "Serious case?" You must be joking.  I have a second cousin who once
>> worked for military intelligence. Do you think I should be strung up?
>>

> You are not a national organization whose policies have been tending to
> split the Ecuadorean society along lines which may be too perilous for the
> Ecuadoreans and too useful for the US Embassy. There is no comparison. At
> any rate, if you have a second cousin who once worked for military
> intelligence, and just in case, I will check anything you send me with a
> political comissar from Cuba (joke, joke, joke, joke!!!)

Nestor, the policies of the CONAIE are in line with the new
constitution; it is Correa who is deviating from the consensus, as
Acosta expressed in his view that Correa's re-interpretation of the
constitution represents a legal counter-revolution. Correa's decision
to open up the country to 12 multinationals for open pit mining is
what has split the country in half, that more than anything else,
because Correa only sees the bags of money floating into the Central
Bank. Decentralized economic programs benefiting the small producers,
along with ecotourism and appropriate agriculture, would bring more
money into the countryside. But Correa is not interested in that; he's
more interested in the government making money, because the government
is in debt. The national government is stuck in the old
developmentalist , dare I say USAID mentality?  It is not taking
seriously the idea of buen vivir except as a campaign slogan.

Moreover, Correa is too fearful of the right wing to shut down the
legislative assembly. Hell, he wouldn't even nullify Bechtel's water
contract, because he was afraid that in doing so he would ruffle too
many right wing feathers and lose too many votes on the water bill,
which, as Acosta points out, benefits the large agribusiness concerns
at the expense of both the rural communities and the working class
city-dwellers.

Correa's big mouth and big stick have done more to damage Ecuador than
any number of peaceful indigenous protests.

Greg