> In the past few centuries, what was once the European and then American
> periphery became the core of the world economy. Now, the economies that
> became the periphery are re-emerging as the core. This is transforming the
> entire world. What this means for us all will be the subject of next
> week’s column.
>
> http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/072c87e6-1841-11e0-88c9-00144feab49a.html?ftcamp=rss#axzz1ASEnH9A3

Wolf is a plagiarist.

In that world economy/system, we can observe "the development of
underdevelopment" here and there, then and now. Much of Latin America and
Africa are still underdeveloping. However, now we can also observe that
"Great" Britain is also underdeveloping. We noted that my son Miguel
already observed that in 1978, before Margaret Thacher took over as Prime
Minister! Miguel and maybe Mrs. Thacher did not see it for lack of
sufficient world systemic hindsight, but in fact we can observe Britain
underdeveloping already since the beginning of "The Great Depression" in
1873. How so? Well even with the benefit of Wallerstein's modern-world-
system perspective, we can now see that some sectors, regions, countries
and their "economies" not only move up, but also move down in their
relative and even absolute positions within the world economy and system
as a whole. Britain began its decline over a century ago, when its pride
of place began to be taken by Germany and North America. They fought two
world wars - or one long war from 1914 to 1945 - to dispute who would take
Britain's place. Alas for some, today their place in the sun is also being
displaced by the "Rising Sun" in East Asia. One of the theses of this book
is that these developments should come as no surprise, because parts of
East Asia already were at the center of the world economy/system until
about 1800. In historical terms, "The Rise of the West" came late and was
brief!

So one of the [early] purposes of the present book was to show first that
there already was an ongoing world economy before the Europeans had much
to do and say in it. There were two naturally derivative points: One was
to show that Asia, and especially China and India, but also Southeast Asia
and West Asia, were more active and the first three also more important to
this world economy than Europe was until about 1800. The other derivative
point is that therefore it is completely counter-factual and anti-historic
to claim what "historians already knew that Europe built a world around
itself." It did not; it used its American money to buy itself a ticket on
the Asian train. However, this historical fact has still other
far-reaching implications, both for history and for social theory based on
historical understanding.

full: http://wsarch.ucr.edu/archive/papers/gunder/prefreor.htm