> Through the last two election cycles, people started carrying firearms to
> political rallies.  Was this even imaginable after the assassinations in
> the
> 1960s?  My question is how did carrying a gun to an event like this become
> acceptable. This wasn't the work of a lone schizophrenic.
>

> ML

Those are questions worth pursuing but on a scale of 1 to 10, they rate
about a 3. Later today I plan to write something about what is in store
for the USA in the last 2 years of the Obama administration. Just as Dubya
took advantage of 9/11 to launch a war against Iraq, Obama will try to use
Tucson as a way to forge a "government of national unity" to press forward
with the dismantling of what's left of the safety net. His radio address
today should give some inkling of where he is going:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/01/15/weekly-address-president-obama-we-are-democrats-or-republicans-we-are-am

While we can’t escape our grief for those we’ve lost, we carry on now,
mindful of those truths.

We carry on because we have to.  After all, this is still a time of great
challenges for us to solve.  We’ve got to grow jobs faster, and forge a
stronger, more competitive economy.  We’ve got to shore up our budget, and
bring down our deficits.  We’ve got to keep our people safe, and see to it
that the American Dream remains vibrant and alive for our children and
grandchildren.