    David> Hiya, i'm having a problem getting a valid postscript file
    David> produced on OS X.  Using the example subplot_demo.py,
    David> modified to include the line:

    David>     savefig('subplot_demo')

    David> in the place of the show() command, and running it using:

    David>     python subplot_demo.py -dPS

    David> Produces the .ps file (available here for reference:
    David> http://www.irbdavid.com/misc/subplot_demo.ps ), which can't
    David> be opened by Preview on os x - says its can't convert it to
    David> PDF & cant open the file.  Checked the permissions etc on
    David> the file and they're fine.

    David> Its pretty much a default installation of matplotlib etc,
    David> and output displays fine on screen, using the wxPython /
    David> wxAgg thing (I think that's what i mean :D )

We've noticed this on tiger several times.  Some default system fault
is causing troubles though we haven't identified which one.  The
recommended fix it to put the Vera fonts (which matplotlib ships with)
first in your rc file (http://matplotlib.sf.net/matplotlibrc) and
remove your ~/.matplotlib/ttf.cache before rerunning

Ie, you fonts section of ex should look something like this:

  font.serif          : Bitstream Vera Serif, New Century Schoolbook, Century
Schoolbook L, Utopia, ITC Bookman, Bookman, Nimbus Roman No9 L, Times New
Roman, Times, Palatino, Charter, serif
  font.sans-serif     : Bitstream Vera Sans, Lucida Grande, Verdana, Geneva,
Lucid, Arial, Helvetica, Avant Garde, sans-serif
  font.cursive        : Apple Chancery, Textile, Zapf Chancery, Sand, cursive
  font.fantasy        : Comic Sans MS, Chicago, Charcoal, Impact, Western,
fantasy
  font.monospace      : Bitstream Vera Sans Mono, Andale Mono, Nimbus Mono L,
Courier New, Courier, Fixed, Terminal, monospace

In future releases of mpl, this will be the default.

JDH