    Christopher> However, it is the case that there is a lot of stuff
    Christopher> in pylab that makes it easier to use MPL in
    Christopher> interactive mode. I kind of think that's a shame. I
    Christopher> don't think that there is any reason that an OO
    Christopher> interface is less suited to interactive mode.

It's currently implemented in pylab but could be moved up to the OO
layer by doing something like

class Axes:
   def plot(self, *args, **kwargs):
       ...plot something
       if rcParams['interactive']:
            self.figure.canvas.draw()

or by providing some autowrapper facility to automate this.  Probably
could be done elegantly with decorators, but we can't use decorators
yet...

Or OO users can just call fig.canvas.draw() themselves when they want
to draw....

JDH