On Jan 10, 2007, at 4:57 PM, Eric Firing wrote:

> Christopher Barker wrote:
>> Eric Firing wrote:
>>> This is the big difference between most pylab functions and the
>>> corresponding axes or figure methods that they wrap: the pylab
>>> functions automatically take care of redrawing the figure if you are
>>> in an interactive mode.
>>
>> Now I feel bad -- I think I encouraged Belinda to work with the OO
>> interface, because I think it's the better way to go, and, in
>> particular, translates better to putting MPL code in larger programs.

Don't feel bad. The online community is great, and I've appreciated
all the advise I've gotten.

>> However, it is the case that there is a lot of stuff in pylab that
>> makes
>> it easier to use MPL in interactive mode. I kind of think that's a
>> shame. I don't think that there is any reason that an OO interface is
>> less suited to interactive mode.
>
> Even without the automatic-redraw difference, the OO interface
> requires
> more typing, and more mental record-keeping, than the pylab interface.
> Typing "plot(x,y)" is easier to do and remember than creating a
> figure,
> adding axes, and then typing "ax1.plot(x,y)".  For interactive use, I
> really don't see any advantage to an OO interface.  What advantage do
> you see?

In my case, the advantage of pylab over OO is its simplicity. If this
simpler usage wasn't available, it would be much harder to teach
Matlab-like stuff in introductory programming classes via Python.

At the same time, it is very easy to confuse the difference between
the Matlab-like stuff, the OO-like stuff, and then there's also numpy.

I vote for better documentation regarding these pieces, their
interactions and their differences, somewhere easy-to-find online.

--b