Hi matplotlib basemap users,

I am doing a lot of plots of the same area but for different vertical levels,
time steps and parameters. I am therefore trying to reuse my basemap instance
(which in some cases is quite time consuming to setup). I am doing this by
making a deepcopy of a basemap instance created by this simple function
(where mapresolution is a function giving the different map resolutions for
different areas):

def getbasemap(area):
  """Returns basemap instance for a given area."""
  from matplotlib.toolkits import basemap
  mapres = mapresolution(area)
  m = basemap.Basemap(area[0], area[1], area[2], area[3], resolution=mapres)
  return m

The deepcopy operation takes almost as much time as creating a new basemap
instance. If the basemap instance was unchanged by my plotting I would of
course be able to avoid doing this and simply use a basemap instance without
copying it. Am I right in asserting that this is not the case? Any
suggestions on how to avoid deepcopying it?

Cheers,
Jesper