On Monday 07 May 2007 16:46, Jeff Whitaker wrote:
> Jesper:  Can you be more specific about why you need a deepcopy?  Those
> methods you mention do not modify the Basemap instance, although they do
> modify the axes instance they are used with.  It shouldn't be a problem
> reusing the Basemap instance with a new axes instance (without using
> using deepcopy).

Thanks Jeff,

You are absolutely right, I have changed my code so that it does not perform a
deepcopy now. I must have done something wrong when I wrote the code some
time ago (I think, maybe I was confused by the memory issues we discussed a
while ago).

I am considering reusing an entire figure instance (which I guess I will have
to copy) as well instead of just the basemap instance but I don't know if it
is worth the effort or it is just as fast to redo the figure based on the
basemap instance. I consider doing it because the map decorations are
unchanged between the plots - a profiling of the application reveals that
they take a considerable amount of time to perform. Any recommendations on
that issue?

- Jesper

Ps. You can see a test/development version of the web application for which I
am using matplotlib/basemap in (besides for my scientific work) here (if it
is running when you read this):

http://ocean.dmi.dk/apps/forecast/

(some bugs remain)