On Thursday 10 May 2007 17:12, Simon Kammerer wrote:
> I use a list for every category of items (contoursets, clabels, texts,
> ...), as the way to remove them is slightly different.
>
> Then I remove them from the map axes:
>
> for contourset in contoursets_to_remove:
>   for coll in contourset.collections:
>     if coll in map_axes.collections:
>       map_axes.collections.remove(coll)
>

> for label in clabels_to_remove:
>   if label in map_axes.artists:
>    map_axes.artists.remove(label)
>

> for txt in texts_to_remove:
>   if txt in map_axes.texts:
>    map_axes.texts.remove(txt)

Thanks, that reduced the plotting time by an additional factor two (besides
what I got from reusing the basemap instance). The remaining stuff seems hard
to do anything about:

- filling masked arrays in matplotlib ~15% of the CPU time
- writing the png file (write_png) ~15%
- drawing (non-reusable) polygon collections (draw_poly_collection) ~15%
- drawing line collections (draw_line_collection) ~7%

Cheers,
Jesper