Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce this here with the .py you
attached.  Both SVN r3926 (before the PNG resolution change) and SVN
r3927 (after the PNG resolution change) work for me.  Are you comparing
those two SVN revisions, or SVN vs. 0.90.1?

I can confirm that the PNG you attached is all white and fully transparent.

Just for information, my machine (RHEL4) has libpng 1.2.7.

Can you send a copy of your matplotlibrc?  Also, can you save out a .raw
image?  (If you rename it to foo.rgba, you can display these images with
the ImageMagick command "display -size 1800x1200 -depth 8 foo.rgba")
That would help determine whether the problem is in the PNG-writing code
or something higher up.

Cheers,
Mike

--