I can't reproduce this bug on my own machine with SVN head.  I suspect
this is freetype2 related -- that's the library that actually performs
the rendering of the characters for the Agg backend.  The fact the
humufr saw this after upgrading to Gutsy suggests there might have been
  change to freetype that is now revealing possibly an incorrect usage
in matplotlib.  Can you please send the version of freetype you are
using?  (pkg-config --modversion freetype2)

My machine has the (fairly old) 2.1.9.

I'm going to try installing the latest freetype and see if I can
reproduce this bug.

[I believe this is an instance of the same bug that Darren sent me
off-list.]

Cheers,
Mike

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Sorry I didn't know the difference...
>
> N.
>
> Le Friday 19 October 2007 10:52:25 Darren Dale, vous avez écrit :

>>> Oups I found the problem, I don't know why because it was working fine
>>> before the upgrade to gutsy but I have to change matplotlib configuration
>>> and everything is working fine if I put in the file:
>>>
>>> rc('text', usetex=True)
>> In your first email you said you were using latex, but you were actually
>> using mathtext. I can confirm the problem when I disable usetex and instead
>> use mathtext. Mike, is this something easy to fix?
>>
>> Darren

Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division