Thanks for this information. It looks like the font outline data is somehow getting corrupted before freetype renders it. Again, however, I can't reproduce it on my machine (I've attached a copy of what it looks like for me), so I'm still pretty stumped. My suspicion is that it's a 64-bit vs. 32-bit problem since both people known to have trouble are on 64-bit platforms, and I am not. I have tried recompiling with gcc-4.2.2 and I still wasn't able to reproduce.

One thing you could *try*, to rule out any recent changes to the glyph rendering, is to comment out this line near the top of src/ft2font.cpp:

#define VERTICAL_HINTING

as follows

//#define VERTICAL_HINTING

Additional information: Are there any warnings produced when compiling ft2font.cpp? Can you send me your matplotlibrc file?

Cheers,
Mike

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Yep that can be a good idea. I don't know anything on how mathtext is working but I'm not completely sure that the problem is with freetype because sometime that can work. In reality every character I tested worked but you have to put in a certain order. To understand a little bit more what I try to say (very badly) see the script join and the figure. I hope that can help a little bit to try to find the reason of this behaviour.