Unfortunately, I can't reproduce this on my machine even with the latest
stable version of freetype-2.5.3 (which is the same version in Ubuntu
Gutsy).  The Ubuntu/Debian package of freetype has a lot of patches
applied, and I don't know if they are causing this (but from the looks
of them, I doubt it).

Can you set debug.verbose to "annoying" and send me the output of your
matplotlib run?  I want to rule out any font-loading problems.

Cheers,
Mike

Michael Droettboom wrote:
> I can't reproduce this bug on my own machine with SVN head.  I suspect
> this is freetype2 related -- that's the library that actually performs
> the rendering of the characters for the Agg backend.  The fact the
> humufr saw this after upgrading to Gutsy suggests there might have been
>   change to freetype that is now revealing possibly an incorrect usage
> in matplotlib.  Can you please send the version of freetype you are
> using?  (pkg-config --modversion freetype2)
>
> My machine has the (fairly old) 2.1.9.
>
> I'm going to try installing the latest freetype and see if I can
> reproduce this bug.
>
> [I believe this is an instance of the same bug that Darren sent me
> off-list.]
>
> Cheers,
> Mike
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Sorry I didn't know the difference...
>>
>> N.

>>> In your first email you said you were using latex, but you were actually
>>> using mathtext. I can confirm the problem when I disable usetex and instead
>>> use mathtext. Mike, is this something easy to fix?
>>>
>>> Darren

Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division