Darren Dale wrote:
> On Monday 29 October 2007 10:09:21 am Michael Droettboom wrote:
>> Michael Droettboom wrote:
>>> That seems like a likely explanation...  Exactly, which #defines did you
>>> change to make it work again?  The vanilla freetype tarball works for
>>> me...
>> I seem to have the reversed behavior.  On my machine, if I have the
>> patented bytecodes disabled (which is the default when you download the
>> vanilla freetype tarball from freetype.sf.net), everything works.  When
>> I define (uncomment) TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER in
>> ftoption.h, things break.  (And great news, I'm finally able to
>> reproduce this problem.)  Is that not what you see?
 >
> Crap. I looked right over the "!" in  "if ! use bindist". So you are correct,
> the problem occurs when support for patented hinting is enabled and
> autohinting is disabled. Did I get it right this time? (I'm running on very
> little sleep. Sorry for the confusion.)

No worries.  Grad to see we're at least seeing the same thing (this has
been a very elusive bug...)

I submitted a fix for this in matplotlib SVN r4047.  Freetype takes a
FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT flag to force it to bypass the patented bytecode
hinter at runtime (even if it was compiled in).  This appears to fix the
problem, and doesn't force people to recompile their freetype -- they
should now get identical results regardless.

Cheers,
Mike

--
Michael Droettboom