On 10/29/07, Michael Droettboom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I submitted a fix for this in matplotlib SVN r4047.  Freetype takes a
> FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT flag to force it to bypass the patented bytecode
> hinter at runtime (even if it was compiled in).  This appears to fix the
> problem, and doesn't force people to recompile their freetype -- they
> should now get identical results regardless.

Andrew Straw and I taught a workshop at the Claremont Colleges this
weekend and I was running mpl from svn.  When I brought up the 1st
figure in ipython -pylab mode running GTKAgg, the fonts were totally
whacked (see attached) and I was reminded of why they call it "the
bleeding edge".  Fortunately, it only affected the first draw of an
ipython session.  For example, a figure resize, which triggers the
draw, made the problem go away, and subsequent figures were fine.
Odd.  I just updated from svn and it looks like the problem is gone on
that machine, so I hope this was the source of the problem (the
workshop machine was running open-suse)

In [2]: !uname -a
Linux ns3 2.6.18.8-0.5-bigsmp #1 SMP Fri Jun 22 12:17:53 UTC 2007 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

In other news, TkAgg is segfaulting in that environment, but I haven't
had time to track it down since I was busy preparing the course
material.

JDH