I am having a similar problem.  However I can't seem to get matplotlib
to compile at all.  It fails when it can't find png.h.
At the beginning, it says it can find freetype and libpng, but can't
find the appropriate header files.  I have found them here:

/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/X11/include

So the question is, how can I/we get matplotlib to use the included
versions of freetype and libpng instead of downloading and compiling
other versions?

Thanks,
Jeremy