Jed Frechette wrote:

> Scott Cooper wrote:
>>
>> sent to:  matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>>
>> I'm attempting to install matplotlib under version 10.5 ("Leopard") of
>> the Macintosh operating system.
>>
>> I had an old installation, via Fink, which broke when I (foolishly)
>> upgraded from version 10.4 to version 10.5.
>>

> You might want to try reinstalling Fink. I did a bootstrap install of Fink
> on a new 10.5 install and matplotlib is working fine. Several other tools
> that I use are still missing from Fink on 10.5 but I haven't had any
> problems with matplotlib so far.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> --
> Jed Frechette
> University of New Mexico Lidar Lab

Per Jed's suggestion, I did a boostrap install of Fink, into a virgin /sw
directory, then
     /sw/bin/fink --trees=unstable install matplotlib-py24

which failed with
        Could not resolve inconsistent dependencies!
        Fink isn't sure how to install the above packages safely. You may be
able
to fix things by running:
          fink scanpackages
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get install bzip2-dev=1.0.3-1 bzip2-shlibs=1.0.3-1

which I did, with the following result:
        Sorry, bzip2-dev is already the newest version.
        Sorry, bzip2-shlibs is already the newest version.
        0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.