I see what's going on here.  Upper-case Greek letters are always upright
  (non-italic) in mathtext.  TeX does this, and it is apparently a long
standing American typographic convention.

So, when it goes to print the "\Delta", it looks at "mathtext.rm", which
in your case you have set to "serif", which causes it to look at the
setting for "font.serif", in which the first font it finds is "Bitstream
Vera Serif", which doesn't have Greek characters.

Personally, I like to set the math fonts explicitly, rather than using
the font categories.  This is what I set for using Arev Sans:

mathtext.cal : Arev Sans:oblique
mathtext.it  : Arev Sans:oblique
mathtext.rm  : Arev Sans
mathtext.bf  : Arev Sans:bold
mathtext.sf  : Arev Sans

I may consider adding "arev" and "arevsans" values to "mathtext.fontset"
that would do nothing more than set the "mathtext.*" values to
reasonable defaults to avoid this confusion.  (Which would of course
require that the Arev fonts are available -- they aren't included with
matplotlib).  I still think it's useful and reasonable to provide access
to full font customization, but it would be nice to support the common
case in a more direct way.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Mike