Matthias Michler wrote:
My x-axis is time, and as new points are plotted, even though I'm
following the above recipe pretty closely, the x-tick spacing isn't
getting sorted out, so I end up with just a jumble as the tick labels
for the x-axis. Do you know why this might be?

I'm not sure I understand correctly, but if the number of xticks increases dramatically (nobody could see the individual ticks),

Indeed, it looks like the Tick spacing is staying as it was when the first point was plotted, so when hundreds more points are plotted, I just get a jumble of labels on the x-axis.

the above script leads to a different behaviour on my system.

What is that behaviour and what version of matplotlib are you using?

Shame I get that horrible exception when I do close the plot window,
wish I knew how to make it stop :-S

I don't know which exception you refer to, but sometimes if gives problems if the interactive mode wasn't switched off ("ioff()") before the scripts ends or "show()" is called.

If I run the attached script, and hit Ctrl-C in the DOS box running it, I get:

C:\>python mpltest.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "mpltest.py", line 3, in <module>
    show()
File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\matplotlib\backends\backend_tkagg.py", li
e 76, in show
    Tk.mainloop()
  File "C:\Python25\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 328, in mainloop
    _default_root.tk.mainloop(n)
KeyboardInterrupt
Fatal Python error: PyEval_RestoreThread: NULL tstate

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

I've had a similar error when I hit the red cross in the corner of the window with other scripts, although not this one :-S

cheers,

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk
from pylab import *