On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Jae-Joon Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think the savefig() command calls draw() internally, doesn't it?

Ahh yes.  The copy_from_bbox / restore_region was conceived as an aid
to animation and I don't think I've used it in the context of savefig
where none of the artists are involved in the restored region.  Ie, in
a typical animation use case, you draw the axes, background and ticks,
store the region, and then animate a line on top of it.  When you go
to savefig, the axes background is redrawn  because the associated
artists already reside in the figure, along with the line in its final
state.

It should be fairly easy to expose the agg BufferRegion object in the
artist API, so you could grab a buffer region from one canvas, bless
it as an artist, and add it to the figure or another figure, with the
x and y location  attrs exposed so it could be easily moved.  In this
case you would get the zorder for free.  This would help some, and
would certainly address the case at hand, but the really big win would
probably be something more like the chaco model, where each zorder is
rendered onto a different rendering buffer, with a fairly
straight-forward way to just re-render certain planes.  This would
certainly be harder.

Could you elaborate a bit on your use case, which will help me in
thinking about how this should be done?

JDH