On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Hrafnkell Pálsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ok, I tried your last suggestion and sure enough it worked.
> But it turns out to solve only half of my problem. I'd like to be able to
> restore the background (using the Agg backend) and then use it further, i.e.
> plot on it, without it disappearing.
>
> Elaborating on my real use case, what I want to do is to make a Basemap
> instance, plot the coastlines and other things that are constant in time
> (put marker on the maps for cities, watermark the figure, draw meridians and
> parallels and so on) and save that as a background.
> I would then restore this background and plot "the weather" (open and filled
> contours, quivers and barbs) onto it. I typically have data for some dozens
> of timesteps, so I'd be restoring the background many times. Each time I'd

This should work fine as long as you make the figure frame and axes
frame invisible.  Basically, you need to create the figure background,
and the axes background with all the grid lines, tick labels,
coastlines, etc, save it, and then for the new figure make sure all
the stuff you have saved is turned off.  I am not a basemap user, but
I know all this stuff is ultimately exposed.  Eg for a plain vanilla
axes, you would do

  fig1 = figure(frameon=False)
  ax1 = fig1.add_subplot(111)

  fig = figure(frameon=False)
  ax = fig.add_subplot(111, frameon=false, xticks=[], yticks=[])
  fig.canvas.restore_region(background)

This will turn off the rendering of both the background rectangle as
well as all the ticks and their associated labels, ticklines and
gridlines.  Perhaps Jeff can advise you vis-a-vis the basemap api what
the equivalent is