Hrafnkell Pálsson wrote:

>> This will turn off the rendering of both the background rectangle as
>> well as all the ticks and their associated labels, ticklines and
>> gridlines.  Perhaps Jeff can advise you vis-a-vis the basemap api what
>> the equivalent is
>>

> Ok, I tested your example and see what you mean.
> But if I understood you correctly this won't allow me to retain the
> watermark and the dots I've used for marking cities.
> It would be nice if I could retain the whole background, if it wouldn't
> matter whether I retrieved the background or actually plotted it.
> But even just avoiding plotting the coastline every time would save a lot of
> time.
>

>> Perhaps Jeff can advise you vis-a-vis the basemap api what
>> the equivalent is
>>

> Could you, Jeff, give me a nudge in the right direction? I've read through
> the basemap documentation but didn't notice anything that might help.
>
> Hrafnkell

Hrafnkell:  You can go by the example John gave,  using figure and axes
instance methods.  Basemap just draws stuff on the current figure and axes
instances.

Are you recreating the Basemap instance every time you generate a plot?  If the
projection isn't changing, you can save a lot of overhead by re-using a single
Basemap instance.  You can even pickle it to a file for use in another script.

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449