The version of NumPy in Chris's superpack should be recent enough for
you to just need to build matplotlib from SVN and not the other stuff,
and I assume he includes installation of wxPython or some other
compatible backend for matplotlib. It's really straightforward; you
just need to get the source from svn and run the setup.py file inside
with the target "install."

Last I checked, if you were using Leopard, a bug in Apple's GCC 4.0
got angry with the -O3 optimisation flag so you had to go into
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/config
and edit the Makefile to change "-O3"  to "-Os" in the OPT line under
Compiler flags to get around that (there are other methods that are
slightly more complicated that don't sacrifice using O3, but I think
the "Os" change was deemed the easiest thing to do here). I don't know
if this has changed since then, so hopefully John or someone else will
correct me if this is no longer the case in Leopard. Either way, it's
pretty straightforward; just change one line in the Python Makefile
and matplotlib will install with a simple "sudo python setup.py
install"

Josh