Mauro Cavalcanti wrote:
> Dear ALL,
>
> I am using Basemap version 0.90 with MPL version 0.98.3 under Linux
> Ubuntu, both installed from Andrew Straw repository (I just prefer to
> install from repositories via apt than directly from the sources,
> although in this case I do not have always the latest versions).

Mauro:  There never actually was a Basemap 0.90 - could you check that
version number again with

 >>> from mpl_toolkits.basemap import __version__
 >>> print __version__
0.99.2

See below for my comment on the speed of drawing rivers ..

> I stumbled upon a few issues that I could not solve by looking at the
> available documentation. They are not really critical for me, but I
> would be interested in finding some more about them anyway.
>
> Here they are:
>
> i) When trying some of the projections listed in the Basemap
> documentation, I got a message saying that this or that projection is
> not available, what leads me to think that these projections have only
> been included in later versions of Basemap. However, I could not find
> this in the documentation. This is not critical for my current
> project, as I have no need to offer so many projections, but I would
> like to know.
>
> ii) The plotting of rivers using the drawrivers() method is painfully
> slow, even with resolution set to "crude". The FAQ provided with the
> Basemap source package offers an interesting suggestion for
> potentially solving this, but an exemple would be in order (the FAQ
> mentions an "ireland.py" example which I have however not found in the
> examples directory).

Looked into this a bit and found that drawing rivers the first time is
slow, since the reading and processing of the river data is deferred
until the drawrivers method is called.  In contrast, the coastlines are
read and processed on instance creation.  I did this because most people
don't use the river data, and I didn't want to impose that penalty on
them on instance creation.

Subsequent calls to drawrivers (with the same Basemap instance) are very
fast.

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone : (303)497-6313
NOAA/OAR/CDC  R/PSD1        FAX   : (303)497-6449