On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 9:38 AM, John Hunter <jdh2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My guess is that you may be seeing the antialiasing of your pdf
> renderer.  matplotlib has a pretty good antialiasing renderer for the
> screen display (antigrain) but your mileage may vary for your pdf
> renderer.  Since pdf is a vector output, we have no control over the
> renderering.  What pdf viewer are you using?  The best way for us to
> see what you are seeing is to take a PNG screenshot of your PDF file
> displayed in your viewer and then post the PNG.  Ie, here is what I am
> seeing in the Preview app: the fuzziness is from the antialiasing, but
> I am used to seeing this.

One more thought -- you should be able to turn off the antialiased
property, eg with

  plot(x, y, antialiased=False)

Unfortunately, I poked into our backend_pdf and it appears this
property is ignored.  Jouni: is there a way to turn off antialiasing
in PDF, and could we add support for this in the backend?

Thanks,
JDH