I had a similar issue and this thread mostly solved it, save for one
remaining bug.
If I also call a different module in my main program that does the plotting
in MPL, and then I modify that module, then when I try to run it again in
ipython it acts as if the module I imported has not been changed. If I
change the main program those changes appear, but none of the changes in the
separate module appear.

When I exit ipython and restart everything works normally again, but I would
rather not have to do that every time I edit one of the modules I am
importing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.