Todd Pataky wrote:
> I'm using the Enthought Python Distribution (EPD_Py25) and I enter
> IPython with the command: "ipython".

> This problem does not occur if I use EPD's PyLab (i.e. "ipython -
> pylab"). Does anyone know why?

because the whole point of the "pylab" flag to ipython is to tell
ipython to start up the MPL plotting stuff in separate thread so that it
can work like you want it to. If you don't' use that flag, then each
call to pyplot tries to start up a new app, ,but the old one is still
running, hence you problems.

ipython itself can be used for all sort of things that have nothing to
do with matplotlib, so that's not its default behavior.

Just use ipython -pylab if you want to do interactive plotting, that's
what it's for.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov