Here are the Windows installer and egg produced by "setup.py
bdist_wininst" respectively "setupegg.py bdist_egg":

<http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/download/matplotlib-0.98.5.3.win32-py2.6.exe.zip>

<http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/download/matplotlib-0.98.5.3_r0-py2.6-win32.egg.zip>

The installer worked for me. I have not run the unit tests.

Here's the build output:

BUILDING MATPLOTLIB
             matplotlib: 0.98.5.3
                 python: 2.6.2 (r262:71605, Apr 14 2009, 22:40:02) [MSC
                         v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
               platform: win32
        Windows version: (6, 0, 6002, 2, 'Service Pack 2')

REQUIRED DEPENDENCIES
                  numpy: 1.3.0
              freetype2: found, but unknown version (no pkg-config)
                         * WARNING: Could not find 'freetype2' headers
in any
                         * of '.', '.\freetype2'.

OPTIONAL BACKEND DEPENDENCIES
                 libpng: found, but unknown version (no pkg-config)
                         * Could not find 'libpng' headers in any of '.'
                Tkinter: no
                         * Tkinter present, but header files are not found.
                         * You may need to install development packages.
               wxPython: 2.8.10.1
                         * WxAgg extension not required for wxPython >= 2.8
                   Gtk+: no
                         * Building for Gtk+ requires pygtk; you must be
able
                         * to "import gtk" in your build/install environment
        Mac OS X native: no
                     Qt: no
                    Qt4: Qt: 4.5.1, PyQt4: 4.5
                  Cairo: 1.4.12

OPTIONAL DATE/TIMEZONE DEPENDENCIES
               datetime: present, version unknown
               dateutil: matplotlib will provide
                   pytz: 2009d

OPTIONAL USETEX DEPENDENCIES
                 dvipng: no
            ghostscript: no
                  latex: no
                pdftops: no

[Edit setup.cfg to suppress the above messages]

Hope it helps.

Christoph