Hi Eric,

Eric Firing wrote:

>>> OK, we will take a look at this too.
>>>
>> Maybe instead of using "import wxversion" (I think its intent is for
>> developers having multiple versions installed) you might wnat to
>> change the code in backend_wx.py to use one of the following:
>> import wx
>>  >>> wx.__version__
>> '2.8.10.1'
>>  >>> wx.version
>> <function version at 0x02BAEC30>
>>  >>> wx.version()
>> '2.8.10.1 (msw-unicode)'
>>  >>> wx.VERSION
>> (2, 8, 10, 1, '')
>>  >>> wx.VERSION_STRING
>> '2.8.10.1'
>>
>> This way you don't use wxversion and the check will run in all
>> situations.
>
> I don't understand.  You are correct that wxversion is used so that if
> multiple versions are installed, one that will work is the one that
> gets imported.  This seems to be important functionality; it was added
> because people were having problems, and it seems to have solved those
> problems.  It sounds like you are advocating going back to a simple
> version check.
Unless I misread the code it just wants to ensure that at least version
2.8 is used, this could be done using any of the above variables.  Only
things wxversion is doing in addition is to propose to download and for
a developer if he is having a default of < 2.8 it will load 2.8 or
higher if available.

> Instead, it looks to me like the best solution is the one you provided
> at the very bottom of http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/MatPlotLib.
I am happy with what ever change is done as long as it also works for
py2exe'd application.

Werner