This happens because, when the AxesGrid is created, gca() is set to the last
axes, which is the last colobar axes.

If you use axes_grid toolkit, you'd better not use pyplot command that works
on axes. Instead, use axes method directly.

For example, instead of  "pyplot.pcolor(..)" , use "ax.pcolor(..)".

Regards,

-JJ