Hi all,

To annotate my figures with Greek letters, I use the following:

import matplotlib
matplotlib.use('PDF')
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
from matplotlib import rc
rc('font',**{'family':'sans-serif','sans-serif':['Helvetica']})
plt.rcParams['ps.useafm'] = True
rc('font',**{'family':'sans-serif','sans-serif':['Helvetica']})
plt.rcParams['pdf.fonttype'] = 42
# plot figure
# ...
# annotate figure
plt.xlabel(r'$\mu$ = 50')
plt.ylabel(r'$\sigma$ = 1.5')

This makes the equal symbol and everything to the right of it in the
Helvetica font, as intended, and the Greek symbols default to the
usual TeX font (which I believe is Times New Roman.)

How can I make it so the font used for the Greek letters is the
"Symbol" font instead?  It's important for me not to have it appear in
the default Times font of TeX.

thanks for your help.