Thanks Mike. The Greek symbols become visible when I make the changes as you
suggested. DejaVu Sans has been installed in my system (Fedora 12). We might
put a note on the documentation stating to get wider Unicode coverage people
could install additional fonts --DejaVu Sans being one of them instead of
shipping the fonts with matplotlib.

With my working unicode example, now I have three ways to show u^-2 on
labels. See the code at:
http://code.google.com/p/ccnworks/source/browse/trunk/various/threemus.py

Not heavy Latex users like me might find unicode fonts much easier to create
their labels. Especially using units like #/cm^3.

There are so many nice looking symbols in the DejaVu Sans samples at
http://dejavu.sf.net/samples/DejaVuSans.pdf
Is it possible in matplotlib to use those symbols as replacement for regular
markers while plotting? I recall someone was asking about using Latex
symbols as markers, but not sure about the fate of his question.

Thanks

--
Gökhan