without the svn version, you can save both files.
edit figureoptions.py to modify the import:
#import matplotlib.backends.qt4_editor.formlayout as formlayout
import formlayout

then, you can attach the nice dialog box to a Event, something like that
works:

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np
import figureoptions

t = np.arange(0, 1+0.01, 0.01)
y = np.sin(2*np.pi*t)

fig = plt.figure()
ax = fig.add_subplot(111)
ax.plot(t, y, 'r-o')

def onclick(event):
    figureoptions.figure_edit(ax)

cid = fig.canvas.mpl_connect('button_press_event', onclick)

plt.show()

click on the figure, you will get the dialog box. less cool than the button,
but not too bad.