All of those calls to "open" are being generated from the pytz import --
which is why pytz seems like the likely candidate.  Is it possible you
have pytz installed as a compressed egg, or on a remote disk, or
something that may be causing a file reading penalty?

As Eric said, make sure you time the "import pytz" in a clean Python
session -- if a module is already imported in the Python interpreter, it
won't be reimported.

Mike