C M wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Mauro Cavalcanti <mauro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As I posted before, I ran across precisely these same errors when
>> upgrading my Ubuntu box and the Python interpreter. You will need to
>> install other dependencies as the installation log shows (gtk-2.0+,
>> pygtk), including its development versions.
>>

> Can someone explain why I was able to have matplotlib 0.99 installed
> previously, and can easily have 0.98 installed through Synaptic/Ubuntu
> repositories, and yet have to hunt down the additional dependencies
> myself if I install from svn?  I can't recall if I installed 0.99
> through a third party repository or how I got it, but the point is:
> is the svn version going to be different than what one gets through a
> repository?

When building from source, you also need the header files (*.h files) of
all of matplotlib's dependencies.  When you install the matplotlib
binary package (.deb file), these header files are not installed.
Debian, Ubuntu and most other Linux distros separate the compiled binary
libraries and header files into separate packages.  The latter are
usually named the same as the binary package but with a "-dev" suffix.

The "apt-get build-dep" command is designed specifically to install all
of the header files required to build a particular package.  Therefore
"apt-get build-dep python-matplotlib" is a great shortcut to set up your
machine for building matplotlib from source.
> Is this need to install dependencies usually the case when installing
> from svn?--and if so, can I suggest that this be mentioned in the
> online documentation? (perhaps it is and I didn't see it?).

It sure can -- it was overlooked because this requirement is true of any
compiled piece of software, not just matplotlib.  Would you like to
contribute a paragraph or two?  I'd be happy to merge it into the docs.

Mike

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch